Here’s one way to get the pronunciation of “Kingston Bagpuize”, this should work for just about any IPA pronunciation though.
- Grab the IPA pronunciation from the Kingston Bagpuize Wikipedia page
- Goto the AT&T Natural Voices® Text-to-Speech Demo
- For Step 1 – Voice & Language select one of the US-based voices.
For some reason I couldn’t get the pronunciation text working with the UK voice. Let me know if the comments if you have better luck with any of the non-US accents than I did.
- For Step 2 – Text enter the following tag — note that the IPA pronunciation is entered in the ph=”” bit:
<phoneme alphabet="ipa" ph="ˈkɪŋstən ˈbæɡpjuːz"> </phoneme>
- Click Speak to listen to the pronunciation in WAV format. WAV files are compatible with most devices.
Note: not all the available voices support the phoneme tag syntax — if the resulting file attempts to spell-out the opening square brackets of the tag, then try selecting another voice.